Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 02:39 AM   #41
LandKO

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Smile And yet, another Mod

We’ve been planning on a trip to South Dakota in June. I wanted to complete my suspension mods prior to leaving. I’ve always tried to do my own work on my vehicles, whether it was on a Corvette or an RV.
Last month I installed Sumo Springs and a Roadmaster sway-bar on the front of my E450 chassis. For the most part, these installations went smoothly and only took a few hours.
So today was the day to install the rear Roadmaster sway-bar.
I store my RV in my backyard, which is basically dirt. The tires however, sit on 4’x4’ 3/4” exterior plywood.
My original plan was to raise the rear end of the RV 8 to 10 inches so I’d have a little more room to work underneath. To do this, I was planing to put my 8 ton bottle jack under the differential, raise the vehicle and the put two 6 ton jack stands under the rear end. Even though I had put a 6’ 2x10 under the bottle jack to support it, when I tried to raise the rear of the RV, all I did was to proceed burying the 2x10 into the dirt. Guess my plan wasn’t so good after all.
So, plan B, was to use the available space to crawl under the RV and change out the sway-bar.
The instructions from Roadmaster suggest that this is a two man project. Since there was only me, I went forward.
Click image for larger version

Name:	2E870E20-0D50-4301-98C5-A9702008FA7A.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	17809
Now, this can be done by one person and do it safely, but, after installing the sway-bar by myself, I don’t recommend it to others. Especially when the person installing it by themselves is over 70. Pain pill and muscle relaxer tonight
This was my wake up call. Any major chassis or engine work in the future will be contracted out to a professional.
I’m gonna stick to the minor mods from here on out.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum