Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #37
Habu77

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 35M
State: Georgia
THOR #9751
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnieSmith View Post
I have the same system and have grown to like it quite a bit. I'm using it in conjunction with a simple network switch to increase the number of hardwired connections (printer, Ooma VOIP phone, DVD streaming, etc), and that network connection is invaluable in our more-permanent-than-expected home. I haven't installed the antenna outside, but as you'll see below, it's become unnecessary.

Here's what it does:
- creates an independent network for your RV, with it's own name and security protocols
- connects to any available WiFi, like your hotspot or some Park networks, to serve as the source of Internet access. It will happily connect to any access point using basic SSID/Passphrase authentication at the router level.
- provides a basic firewall between your network and the internet-source network

Here's what it doesn't do:
- connect to any WiFi network which requires browser-based authentication (ie. the "splash screen" on Chrome/Edge/Opera which requires you to enter information provided by the park).
- provide a super-reliable permanent connection to the source internet connection, which requires you to log into the router itself (use a different name and password than the outside-facing network to alleviate confusion) and reboot it once in a while.

We use it in conjunction with my phone's hotspot, which is unlimited data, but it throttles after like 20gb. While the data is fast, everything works perfectly! As soon as it's throttled, however (thanks to my Netflix-addicted kids, that takes about 4 days), the ability to provide internet access to WiFi clients suffers dramatically. At that point, I just connect all WiFi clients to my phone directly, and the Camp Pro feeds internet to the hardwired phone and DVD/streamer adequately, and retains the network connection to the printer/scanner for those purposes. The throttled internet even allowed is to watch some often-blurry Netflix/Hulu regularly!

Hope this helps a bit!
I agree with this post 100%.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.