Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 08:03 PM   #12
frschof

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Florida
THOR #15558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
Battery discussions are always difficult because there are so many variables to deal with. But the "simple rules" dictate:

• buy deep cycle batteries,
  • get the most AMP's possible
  • for the least amount of money spent

I like AGM batteries and I use them here on my home back up system. But the batteries here at home don't get the same workout that my RV will get and the opportunity for abuse on the RV batteries is greater. FLA's cost about 1/2 what the AGM's cost, so for those reasons, I use the FLA's in my RV.

My opinion is as follows, others may/may not agree.

Shop around, find the best deal and then buy deep cycle batteries with the largest amount of AMP storage possible. (As an example, I paid about $1.30 per amp on my setup.) If you can put two of them in parallel configuration, then all the better. Two batteries in parallel configuration will give you twice the amps to draw from.

Given you have limited space and can only fit two batteries, I'd use 2-12 volt batteries in parallel configuration. If you had space for 4 batteries, I would say use 4-6 volt batteries wired as follows. 2-6 volt batteries wired in series = 12 volts. Then wire those "pairs" in parallel and you still have a 12 volt system, but with twice the amp storage.

As I said previously, this is my opinion only.

Thank you very much. For example. autozone has this batter see link. It is listed as reserve capacity of 188 spec is this what you mean when you say AMP Storage?

https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneo...nal/832115_0_0

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum