Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-06-2019, 09:05 PM   #13
Sweetbriar

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31D
State: Virginia
THOR #5638
Quote:
Originally Posted by frschof View Post
I have a Progressive Dynamics - 12 Volt 60 Amp RV Converter / Battery Charger. I use the RV once a month mainly short trips weekends. Not 100 percent sure but the bathroom fan, lights, radio and Fridge if selected. Mostly I have the fridge on Propane.

I currently have a FLA battery installed but she is dead. THe FLA sounds like a good option I just need to maintain properly.
The Progressive converter will suit your needs well. Being a multistage charger will help with keeping the batteries happy.

Besides those items listed included in the list the furnace, thermostat, water heater and water pump. Your fridge, even when burning propane, still needs 12VDC for the controller to turn the burner on and off. Same for the water heater. And even though the roof A/C runs off of 120VAC powered the thermostat that tells it the coach is hot needs DC power to make that happen. If you have slides or jacks those will also be DC powered.

With no mention of off grid, primitive or boondocking I'm going to guess full service or at least a power and water campsite is your primary go to place. Not a problem your in the majority. Considering such along with a propane fridge and no inverter your DC needs while unplugged are rather light. Basically you need to keep the fridge going during a stop in route such are grocery shopping or may be some sightseeing. Maybe a few hours for a brief rest stop or when you loading or unloading the rig.

When you boil it down to the hard numbers an inexpensive 12VDC marine/RV deep cycle will do what you need and if treated right should see you thru four plus camp seasons. Considering the location, under the entry steps, I would get a maintenance free battery. It will just make life a lot easier not having to worry about any spilled or leaking acid considering the location.

What to get? I'd go with Sam's Club Duracell Marine & RV Deep Cycle group size 27. Costco has the same but marked by Interstate Batteries. Both are about the same price at just under $90 and will suit your needs. Measure the space before you do anything.

Decide to test the boondocking waters and you really should consider going with true deep cycle 6VDC batteries rather than hybrids.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum