Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-14-2019, 01:06 AM   #5
rynosback

Brand: DRV
Model: 38 RSB3
State: South Dakota
THOR #1658
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
the Wifi Ranger and similar 'antenna' systems to help you find and connect to the internet are much less meaningful in the new era of 'Unlimited data' via most cell phone providers...though it's still useful if you run 'out' of data, are throttled down on your cell data, or just want to preserve your cell plan data for use later...

but, no, the wifi ranger cannot 'give' you anything more than what's available where you are. If McDonalds is nearby, you may can pick it up on the wifi ranger, and yet not see it at all on your phone, which is an example of where it may be 'handy', when you need it. Sometimes campground and rv park wifi signals are either weak, not close enough to your site for your phone to pick up, or are otherwise hard to attach to with you phone - the wifi ranger gives you the ability to bring in a stronger signal, amplify it, and provide it to ALL your phones and devices within your RV, especially the dedicated ipad and computer devices that dont' have a cellular option.

One great thing about a wifi ranger is the ability, at some restricted campgrounds and parks, where you use your wifi ranger as the only 'allowed' attachment to their internet wifi signal, and yet share it to ALL your onboard devices... the campground only sees your single device. This is important when you see 'Tengonet' and other campground third-party wifi services, where it's either only 'free' for a single device, or you are charged on a 'per device' basis....most of us have MANY devices!

but, I'll admit, while we have a wifi ranger, we rarely use it anymore - the AT&T signal is just available at most areas where we need it, and even though our cell plan is throttled, it's still usable without the addition or need of a secondary 'wifi ranger' type antenna, since it is only for wifi only.
Well said. Plus using your hot spot is a secure network. I would NEVER open up any bank or financial web link on a free WiFi network. I have a WiFi Ranger on the roof and the Go A/C. I use the Go AC all the time to connect all of my devices to and use my ATT hot spot as the data source. But if I am in a dead zone I can always use the Ranger to pull in a WiFi signal. If you need to be connected all of the time, the Ranger is just one tool that you should carry. The few times I have called WiFi Ranger, they have been super helpful and knowledgeable.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.