Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Battery drain?
View Single Post
Old 06-17-2019, 06:59 PM   #10
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1951 View Post
You are right, my friend. I just never paid attention to the inverter panel, maybe because I didn't know what it was for!!!!(DOH!) I'll have to look up the operation of that unit somewhere on the Internet. So you say you never use the inverter unless you run the TV's off the batteries. Being a newbie, I am gathering knowledge re/the electrics of this unit as I go. Did find out that the only way you can run small appliances is by either running the generator or being plugged into shore power. That is unless my inverter is now in the off position. Not sure of this. Maybe you could school me on that. Is it possible to use 110 AC appliances with the house batteries and the inverter?
So your rig probably has the 1000W version. That is what is in my 2018 29H. Thor wired the Inverter to provide power from the house batteries to the three TV's and the radio in the garage when there is no generator or shore power available.

The 1000W Inverter could run a small coffee maker and it should be able to run the fridge. You would either need to run an extension cord from one of the TV outlets to the small appliance or do some rewiring.

I plan to change the wiring in my unit to run the fridge off the Inverter when I am low on propane or driving very long distances (since the batteries will be charged by the alternator while driving).

I did a test and ran an extension cord from the TV receptacle in the garage to the garage AC. It is only 5000 BTU drawing about 5 A and the Inverter did power it. However, that is not recommended because it is not a pure sine wave Inverter.

If you put your house batteries in Store mode but leave the Inverter on, it will drain your batteries over the course of a few days. The Inverter draws a little power when on and not used. When it is on, the TV's and radio will draw a little power as well even when they are off.... then you will have dead batteries.

There is no need to have the Inverter turned on unless you are going to be using the TV's or garage radio when there is no shore power or the generator is not running.

I may install a Xantrex Freedom Xi 1800W Inverter so I could run the garage AC off the batteries if I needed to at some point. I am also going to change the wiring to add the refrigerator to the Inverter as well.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum