Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Heat Pump
View Single Post
Old 06-21-2019, 08:28 PM   #5
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichS View Post

.....cut..... I am only looking at temps down in the 40s. It would be camping in North Central Florida during the winter. Is it better than the propane heater. Can you get away without using the heater.

Thanks.
Coleman / Airxcell specs for their heat pumps state that the compressor will shut down if air outside drops below 40 ~ 45 F. If it does get colder, it switches to electric resistance heat which delivers 5600 BTU/hr. That’s about 1640 watts of power, which is limited by electrical circuit to A/C unit.

Heat pumps obviously pump more energy than they consume, so as long as it’s operating as a heat pump, it should deliver more than 1640 watts of heat to the RV.

The main issue I see that owners often have against heat pumps is that they save electrical power which benefits the campground versus RVer running one or more cheap 1,500 watt electric heaters. However, with a heat pump you should be able to end up with more total heat before you run out of electrical service (30 Amps?), but only if temperatures are above ~ 45 F.

I looked at Coleman strictly as an example.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EAB9CAD8-5F3C-46DC-AB57-64E7653B19AD.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	18377   Click image for larger version

Name:	8740824F-A14E-42AD-B353-3ED9C737DB94.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	130.9 KB
ID:	18378  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.