Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 06-23-2019, 02:36 AM   #14
Pete'sMH

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Forest River Forester 235
State: Indiana
THOR #6826
When I had my 2015 F53 chassis aligned at a Ford truck center they told me the steering wheel would be off by about 30 degrees but they didn’t know how to fix it (!). I expect they just didn’t want to do it as they certainly know how. I took it to my local Ford dealer and they said “sure it’s easy to fix, bring it in”.. But they also gave up and said they couldn’t straighten it. I researched it online and found an easy procedure. I told my dealer about it and he agreed it would work and be easy but he couldn’t do it because it wasn’t a Ford authorized procedure. The problem is the tie rod has only a single adjustable tie rod end so if your toe is off and needs to be adjusted it’ll mess up the steering wheel. Why Ford builds them that way is a mystery but that’s how the F53 works. My dealer says the Ford authorized procedure is to remove the steering box from the frame and shim it’s position. So...I tried the easy procedure myself. It seems that the steering column attaches to the steering box with a splined clamping collar. Remove one bolt, pry the collar off, rotate it the necessary number of splines (10 degrees per spline) and put it back on with some blue locative on the bolt. In my case it took a 3 spline adjustment. Took about 20 minutes and would only take 10 if I had to do it again. I see no risk or downside to the process and while my end position is still a couple of degrees off it’s fine.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.