Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2019, 08:01 PM   #4
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomarsh View Post
Hi to all,
Does anyone know if the generator "start" is wired to get it's electrical source from the house batteries or the chassis battery? My chassis battery went dead while on a trip last week. House batteries were fine but the start buttons for the generator were all "dead". After the chassis battery was charged the buttons started the generator just fine. I would have thought the chassis batteries would start the gen.

Also, regarding the "bird" relay. I was plugged into 110 shore power all week and yet the chassis battery went dead. The battery is good and came back to full charge after jumping it and driving home. Emergency start button seemed dead as well. I assume the house batteries did charge during that time since everything worked fine. Is it possible the "bird" allowed the house batteries to charge but not the chassis battery?
The BIRD and Trombetta in many Axis are supposed to charge both ways. However, my 2016 was miswired at the factory and the house batteries did not charge from the alternator. I had to rewrire my system for it to work. Easy way for you to check your system is to check the voltage at the two terminals of the Trombetta. If the engine is running or the coach is on shore power or the generator is running, the voltage should be the same at both Trombetta terminals - i.e. both battery systems are being charged as they should. If the voltage is not the same either with the engine running or on shore power/generator then something is wrong. Check and let me know. How I fixed mine is in a thread back in 2016. Search BIRD or Trombetta and you might find it.

The generator is wired to the house batteries.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum