Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 03:17 PM   #7
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapper Dave View Post
Ok, just to confirm I'm understand ya'all correctly, even though I just took delivery of this 2016 unit and have had only one week-end 'maiden voyage' ya'all are saying that it's MY responsibility to have the front end aligned ... that just seem wrong. One would expect that the chassis at least would function correctly 'right-out-the-box'

Is this standard operating procedure for all new class As or just for Thor units that are on a Ford chassis?

I'm bewildered - I haven't talked to my salesman about this yet (on the schedule for a return visit in about 5 days) but will sure be asking him explain why they allow it to be driven nearly 2000 miles from the plant to their store without knowing that it need an alignment.

Thanks for the input gents.

Dave
I have a very hard time accepting that motorhomes can't (or shouldn't) be aligned before shipping because they have to be loaded first. It just doesn't make physical sense to me (although I can imagine other reasons).

Completed motorhomes typically have combined carrying capacities as low as 10% of total weight (and rarely much over 20%), so in proportion to chassis rating it would be equivalent to loading 2 or 4 adults in a mid-size car. And how ridiculous would it sound if Honda said you had to realign your Accord after loading your family? They would lose all credibility.

And if you align an 18,000-pound motorhome with 2,000 pounds of load (totaling 20,000 pounds) does it mean it won't stay aligned if driven empty? In my opinion if alignment is indeed so sensitive to load, it doesn't say much about the chassis in the first place.

One other thought comes to mind: Commercial trucks can easily weigh twice as much loaded as when empty, and they somehow manage without needing constant alignments.

I have yet to hear a good reason why loading a motorhome by so little necessitates getting an alignment, or why the responsibility is shifted to owner (other than manufacturers can because they all do the same).

I'm not saying you don't need an alignment, but agree with you that you shouldn't.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.