Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 12:25 PM   #4
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
There are a critical sequence of steps that I must follow for everything to work properly and not damage anything. I was not too worried about this because I have to do something similar when the power goes out at home and I plug my generator into the subpanel in my garage to get power to parts of the house.
e.Make sure the Converter breaker, 30-amp Main breaker and Main Air Conditioner breaker always remain Off when using the Inverter!!!
:

While this setup may work for Judge, and I expect he understands the care needed - If you do not understand how dangerous this can be - do not attempt this...

The intent of the transfer switches in our RVs is to isolate input power sources and insure there is one and ONLY ONE active at any time...
It is also why the inverter has a built in transfer switch.

This process leaves to a ‘checklist’ and ‘human error’ the isolation... and if not followed properly can result in damage to components, a fire, or injury to people.

Have I back fed a house after a storm from my genny? Absolutely... but VERY carefully and knowing there was no one else touching anything involved... and still prefer the transfer switch setup albeit more expensive.

The clean way to do this is running a circuit from the current panel to the inverter at or below the rating of the inverters transfer switch - the output of the inverter goes to a sub panel, and the desired circuits are moved from main panel to sub panel..
The total normal load on the sub panel must be less than the transfer switch rating... but already insured that with the input feed.
You can still select with circuit breakers what is actually receiving power from inverter, but there is no way for more than one input to be active on any circuit.

To each their own... just please understand the risks...
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum