Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 08:04 PM   #26
D and C Kincaid

Brand: Still Looking
Model: View
State: Nevada
THOR #7987
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarrier View Post
Question : why do you change it altogether ? Isn't it only the little metal screen that plays a role in filtering ? Unless the only reason you change it is to see what's inside. I unscrew it on regular basis, check it an screw it back. As long as the rubber seal is good and the metal screen too, I don't see any reason to change it. Am I missing something ? (I'm relatively new to RV. My second season)
ccarrier, I will admit to this being a preference for me, but the reasons it is a preference are: in our first travel trailer, the owners manual instructed to change the whole filter assembly on an annual basis, as the screen and case are an excellent area for the growth of bacteria, algae, and fungi. Given that on one subsequent RV, I actually found stuff growing in the filter and casing, I believe that Jayco was correct in giving that information. Given that the plastic casing is black (attracts more heat), and given that it is a fairly low grade plastic, I am sure that there is a lot of surface area where yuck would be encouraged to grow. (OK the old nurse in me again.) Yes, that is what the annual chlorinating of the tank and hoses should decrease the risk of, but I figure for $10.00 a year, (amazon price for my filter assembly) if I can decrease the risk of stuff growing in my system, I am all for it. And yes, I do really like to be able to see into that area to figure out without breaking the system an extra time, whether or not I have a clog in my filter. (or heaven forbid - do I have something green in there?!?!?)

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum