Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2019, 08:12 PM   #27
javelin

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
So far no response to my inquiry about the clear plastic turning opaque white, from Pentair, who I believe is the manufacturer of the Shurflo 255-313 water pump filter unit.......... typically available on line via Amazon and others. Refer to pictures attached:

Since yesterday I took a brand new (spare) Shurflo 255-313 filter and removed the clear screw cap with integral metal filter screen to do some basic testing. Yesterday evening I poured RV pink antifreeze into the clear cap up to the rubber seal and left it at room temperature over night until this morning.......result: no dis-colorization and no change to clarity of the clear plastic filter cap.
Next test was to try my usual RV Spring water sanitization bleach (the standard Clorox household stuff). Typical RV Spring cleaning (after Winter storage) of RV water line pipes suggests using 1/4 cup bleach for every 15 Gal (US) of water for proper sanitization of over wintered water lines. I normally use 1 cup bleach for my 50 gal (US) fresh water tank + 6 gal hot water tank. It is properly diluted and mixed in the fresh water tank before being pumped through the pex pipe system to ensure no straight from the bottle bleach reaches any part of the pipes or tanks or rubber seals. To try to simulate this concentration of bleach for the filter test, I used 1 gal(US) of city tap water and added 1 teaspoon of clorox bleach into the water and mixed. I then poured the pink antifreeze out of the filter cap and washed the cap out completely.....then refilled the filter cap with the diluted clorox mix, up to but below the rubber cap seal. That was at 10AM this morning and by 1PM the clear plastic was already clouded white from discolorization. I poured out the bleach so that I would stop the process and salvage the cap somewhat.
So it seems that the OEM filter cap I have used for 7 years which never discolored from my same Spring bleach sanitization process and was replaced this Spring with the Shurflo 255-313, which is sensitive to the Spring sanitization bleach process. Usually RV sanitization suggests doing a minimum 4 hours with the bleach mix in the system.....in 3 hours I had significant white discolorization and this Spring I left my coach overnight. Now the question is will Shurflo respond and replace the caps at least......and make changes to their product ASAP? The next question is can the discolored caps be restored to clear once bleached? I don’t know......yet, but I suspect not.

I don't think this discolorization prevents the filter from doing its job, but as stated in previous posts the clear lens allows the owner to visually check for contaminants in the filter. If you can't see through the lens......do you wait for water pressure to drop off or just check the filter more often.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	New Filter.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	18657   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pink Antifreeze OK after overnight.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	18658  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Filter after 3 hrs blech mix.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	18659  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum