Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2019, 09:27 PM   #3
halfprice

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Renegade Valencia 38RB
State: California
THOR #3156
Quote:
Originally Posted by nosticks View Post
When we bought the RV we have now, we were mostly camping in the mountains of northern Georgia. A single a/c was more than adequate. Now we do mostly beach camping. Since we have only 30amp service and a 13500 btu A/C, it just does not do so well particularly the first day of arrival. We have to dissipate the heat from the V10 and the generator. That and 90+ degree weather and no shade is very uncomfortable. The dogs pant continuously.

I followed all the typical stuff like blocking off the end run on the vents, and using aluminum tape to insure isolation between return air and the cold side. But still, it's too hot.

I'm a DIY kind of guy and rarely resort to help from any services. So, I checked for the best prices on another 13500 unit. Then went about figuring how I could by myself get the new a/c on the roof. I devised a ramp from an extension ladder and a dolly with sides to prevent the a/c from sliding off on it's way to the roof.

OK, Dave. Stop and rethink this. I already committed to running an independent 20 amp circuit for the new a/c. I just needed to get it up on the roof without killing myself or destroying the a/c on the trip up and ripping up the roof once there.

I went to an RV dealer, not CW, and asked then to price out the same a/c, removing the old vent and installing the new a/c and leaving the electrical hook up to me. I was more than pleasantly surprised. Net net, labor, a/c taxes and all, it was going to cost me < $250 to have them do it. My appointment is next week.

At my age, I don't welcome heat stroke or a heart attack to do the job myself.
Dave,
Smart move. The electrical isnt that difficult to do

When i added my second ac i had two friends help plus a lift so it was easy getting it up there

Jerry
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
FMCA # F464385
halfprice is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.