Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 05:19 PM   #3
gmtech16450yz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99dart View Post
Thanks! Somebody that understands. I just keep my mouth shut and go about my way. I do have a question; I custom installed an oversized K&N air filter with a filter on the end also. I wanted the V10 to be able to breath well without removing the stock setup. I cut an oval opening in the front little air intake tube & a matching one in the air filter housing, then joined them with a large 3" (I think) silicone tube. Do you think there is ANY benefits from this? MPG, better pulling, HP? Thanks!

I did modify my air cleaner also and I did actually show a torque and cylinder airmass difference before and after. (I log no less than 39 engine and trans PID's with HPTuners everytime I drive my Vegas. I currently have about 16k miles worth of logged engine and trans data.) I'd have to pull up those logs to see exactly how much airmass difference there was, it obviously wasn't huge, but it did make a difference.

My setup actually isn't that efficient as far as pulling "cold air" (relative term), but my experience has shown me that excessive intake ducting to achieve what people think is a "CAI" often results in too much airflow restriction. Since I know exactly what my intake and ambient air temps are at all times by logging, I know exactly what effect my air filter change made on intake temps. Without going into all the details, the compromise between the stock setup and my setup pulling the air from a slightly different spot is insignificant. The difference in increased airmass from reducing restriction overcomes any intake temp differences.

I did remove the venturi/restriction tube directly in front of the throttle body and exchanged it with a straight through aluminum tube wrapped with insulation for noise and heat. I kept the stock section where the MAF is mounted because Ford actually did a really nice job with the little reversion chamber they made. MAF calibration is also VERY close to stock, I didn't want to have to rebuild the MAF calibrations by changing the MAF placement. My LTFT's are solid 0's over every single engine condition, so the MAF is reading like it's supposed to, which is huge.

I found these couple pics of the air filter itself, I did the venturi tube at a different time and didn't go looking for those pictures.

Thanks for your post btw! This is the direction I'd like to stay in here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190222_132457.jpg
Views:	831
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	18711   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190222_131916.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	18712  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190222_131909.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	18713  

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum