Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 06:12 PM   #4
gmtech16450yz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
I found a couple logs showing data relating to whether the V10 "Likes to rev" so I thought I'd preemptively try to answer those questions...

The first one shows engine noise. The red trace is from my knock sensor system, it's basically reading noise in the ~6.4kHz range, listening for engine knock. Notice the "floor" of the readings, they start to rise at around 4000 rpm, and rise exponentially around 4700rpm. If I let that shift go any higher, that engine noise would also keep rising exponentially.

Mechanical engine noise is obviously an indication of engine stress. (I'm not talking about exhaust or intake noise.) Engine stress goes up in just about every single internal combustion engine exponentially. It can be at all different levels obviously, but the thing to remember is an increase of just a couple hundred rpm can mean engine stresses can actually DOUBLE. The mechanical engine noise in a late model Ford V10 goes up significantly at 4k rpm and continues to rise.

The second picture shows the power curve. (this log is from a totally stock engine.) Notice the green "MAF lb/min" trace in the bottom section of the chart. At 4500rpm it actually starts to go DOWN. That means even though the engine is spinning faster, it's actually starting to take in LESS air. It's literally suffocating. (There are a dozen reasons for that. I'll put a couple pics below to show just one of them.) You can see the torque curve, it of course starts to drop off. What you don't see is HP, but you can tell what it's doing by looking at the air mass and also the Absolute Load. It's the white trace in the 4th section of the chart. It starts to drop off at 4k rpm. By not quite 4600rpm it's dropped 10%! So airflow and absolute load are dropping at again, an exponential rate, so what's the airflow and load (directly relates to power output) going to be at say 5k rpm? The answer is "Not enough to be there". lol.

I haven't even gotten into the factors of it being a V10, crank stroke, cam profiles and cam timing, engine calibrations, ignition timing, etc, etc. Don't try to put too much emphasis on it being an overhead cam engine, that's not a big factor and actually was (my opinion here) done for marketing reasons more than actual functionality. GM has proved over and over that pushrod V8's are a more effective design. Ford finally listened on the new engine. Overhead cams are awesome in 4 bangers. They're pretty good in V6's. So-so in V8's and actually a stupid idea in a V10. You want to see a (relatively) big engine that likes to rev? Try just about every GM LS/LT engine made, and they have pushrods! I'll run my 800+ hp overdriven supercharger (more drag, not rev "happy") 6.2L V8 to 6k all day long and it will like it! My Ford V10 would take a healthy dose of nitrous to even get close to turning 6k. The bottom line is this, the Ford V10 is an engine that not only isn't "happy" revving over 4500rpm, it really shouldn't be run much over 4000rpm. That's pretty "diesel like" for a gas engine.

So can we at least kill the "Ford V10's love to rev" comments on here? It's simply not factual.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	V10 engine noise 1.jpg
Views:	427
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	18714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stock V10 power drop off.jpg
Views:	902
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	18715  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190524_160752.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	340.3 KB
ID:	18716   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190524_155927.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	18717  

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.