Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2019, 06:49 PM   #6
gmtech16450yz

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 27.7
State: California
THOR #10907
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judge View Post
I posted that my wife said the floorboard was not nearly as hot after the 5 Star Tune was installed.

I haven’t done anything else that would have changed how hot the floorboard felt on her bare feet.

Did the 5-Star impact the temperature? I don’t know for sure because I didn’t do any quantitative measurements but..... I do know that engines revving higher on a regular basis will generate more heat. The 5-Star tune did reduce the amount my V10 was revving high.
Yeah I didn't post my reply in that other thread hoping to not make a big deal out of it. I probably should have left that one out of here too. Sorry.

I honestly think it's one of those things that makes you realize objectively seeing cause and effect is extremely difficult. I'm not saying your wife is crazy, she felt what she felt. But I truly believe she would have felt the same thing regardless of the tune being changed or not. You realize how easy it is for stuff like that to happen when you DON'T make a change, and then you or somebody else notices something is different. My buddy just had a perfect example of what I'm trying to say... He went boating with us and DIDN'T get a chance to water ski, even though he really wanted to because he hadn't in years. Two days after the boating weekend, he can hardly walk because his knee hurt so bad. Totally out of the blue, just a relapse of an existing condition. He was so happy he DIDN'T ski because if he did, he would have totally believed his knee was hurting because of skiing and would have never done it again! Crazy when you think about stuff like that.

Maybe there was some other factor, we have no idea. I'm simply saying it would be unlikely the addition of the 5 Star tune would have any effect on the engine temps felt through the floor of an RV. You can argue the engine rpm part back and forth even, higher rpm often results in LOWER engine temps. Lower rpm often puts more load on the engine with less coolant flow, creating more engine heat.

After my saying all that though, there IS one factor that could possibly explain it though, were you doing a whole bunch of WOT driving? 5 Star richens the ____ out of the Power Enrichment strategy. They richen it so much that I'd worry about cylinder wash from excessive fuel. That can lower engine temps, but again, we're talking combustion chamber temps and maybe a little EGT levels, not coolant temps or overall engine temps. Is it possible her foot is close enough to the exhaust manifold, AND you were driving at WOT for long periods of time, AND the added fuel that the 5 Star tune puts into the cylinders lowered the manifold temps enough to feel a difference. I have to say, if that is the difference, no wonder your gas mileage dropped! You're cooling your exhaust with raw fuel. Let's go with it was just a coincidence. lol.

httphttps://youtu.be/2q9BuzNRc3Q
gmtech16450yz is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum