Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2019, 10:33 PM   #71
vegasruv24.1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Nevada
THOR #12329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau388 View Post
When you shut-off the master power (use/store) switch, you disconnected the batteries (both house and chassis) from the charger. When the coach is on shore power, the charger will power all the 12 volts circuits on the coach (assuming the 15 amp circuit breaker in the power center is on).

More explanation - there is a latching relay between charger and the house battery bank. The battery switch (master power -U/S) controls this relay. If the relay is switched on when on shore or generator power, the converter will always charge the house batteries. As soon as the house batteries are about 80% charged, the BIRD (or battery interconnect) will close and the converter will then begin to charge the chassis battery. It is the BIRD that connects the battery banks when you activate the emergency start switch.
thanks so much for the reply,... here's what happened,.. when I stored it, I shut the use store switch off...

when I went out months latter, tried to turn the switch on.... but no go as there was no power in the batteries....so I tried to start the engine.... no go engine battery dead also...

so as in the past with other coaches... I got out the shore power cord and plugged in,... the use store switch auto engages when you plug to shore and lights up...when plugged in the panel reads 13.1 coach, and 1.9 chassis...so I let it sit plugged in for over an hour...hour latter... still at 1.9 on the chassis...so I unplug the shore power, with meter on the coach battery,..4 volts.... so I drug out a battery charger...let it charge for a hour,...now wwhen I plug into shore power,... you can hear the converter fan,... and slow but sure, the monitor is climbing up....but still no charge to the chassis battery..... so, now that the level to the battery is up, the emergency switch works, and able to start the engine.... as soon as the engine is running,.. I shows 14.2 on the monitor for both the coach, and the chassis.... shut the engine off and the chassis drops right back to 2.0 volts....so what I'm thinking is this...the converter doesn't charge as much when On shore???? how could that be???

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.