Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2019, 09:22 PM   #9
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrane2299 View Post
Thanks! I did not take any pictures. I will caution everyone, I am a fair mechanic and I still broke one of the three mounting bolts when re-installing motor number two. I had the drill and tap sizes to fix it. The bolt holes on mine were not threaded, but the screws were self tapping. When I took them out, they had aluminum stuck in the threads. I didn't catch it and they bound up when I was reassembling. I went ahead and tapped all the holes (1/4-20) and used new bolts. This shouldn't be an issue if you check the bolt threads before re-assembly. The $30 motor gearcase is plastic and slightly thicker, so longer bolts might be a good idea anyway.

I think the root cause is the gas struts. They are strong. When my awning is fully extended, the struts bend the arms at the mounting points. I wonder if those struts are affected by hot weather. It was HOT yesterday when I was working, the gas were in full afternoon sun. That may cause the pressure in them to increase?

I also notice the arms look a little bent when fully extended from the struts. This also explains why the awning takes longer to retract than it does to extend.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum