Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
budHumph450

Brand: Still Looking
State: Kentucky
THOR #12161
Battery question

Thanks to all, especially to Kickstand for steering me to the Battery Tender site. Since my batteries are the same type, age, and condition, and are side-by-side, there shouldn't be any problem charging them while they are connected to the RV.
Here's a bit of oh-by-the-way info.....after reading so many recommendations to replace 12-volt batteries with 6-volt golf cart batteries, I bought two top of the line Trojan 6-volt batteries and put them into the battery holder beneath the entrance step of my 2014 Thor Chateau....only to then find that they are about an inch taller than 12-volt batteries, and the step would not close. Maybe I should have simply given up the idea of swapping, at that point. but instead, I took the step off and re-attached it a couple of inches higher on the RV frame, and installed wood around the perimeter for the raised step to rest on. This worked but unfortunately, I looped the excess length of new wire that connected the adjacent positive and negative posts....toward the rear, not realizing that there is a piece of metal sheeting at the rear of the step that extends down when the step is lowered. This metal cut and shorted out the connecting wire. I fixed the problem by shortening and re-routing the connecting wire toward the front, but now I had no DC power in the RV. I figured that a fuse had been blown but I looked everywhere and could find no fuse, and I didn't know but maybe one of the sealed electrical boxes beneath the bed had been damaged. So....being at the end of my shadetree electrician ability I took the RV on a 100 mile trip to a dealer, who found the fuse hidden between the walls of the RV, after removing the electrical distribution panel. Drive it--fix it, drive it--fix it, drive it---fix it....the only thing that always works in an RV is the owner.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum