Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Solar setup
View Single Post
Old 07-15-2019, 07:59 PM   #54
Judge

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2020 Magnitude SV34
State: Florida
THOR #12751
Solar setup

I installed two Renogy flexible 160W panels on my Outlaw 29H with a Rover MPPT Charge Controller about 8 weeks ago.

I used Eternabond Tape to mount them to the roof since it was pre-wired. I’m still using the two stock 12V house batteries that are 2 years old as well but will switch them out to two 6V AGM’s when they die.

I have run my fridge 8 hours on the batteries during the day with a mix of sun and clouds without any issues.

I have also run the garage air conditioner (5000 BTU) for a couple hours without a low battery warning or any issues with a mix of sun and clouds. I swapped out the stock Inverter for a Xantrex Freedom Xi 2000.

The flexible panels are more expensive but I liked not drilling holes in the roof and that they were very light. Also two panels can generate over 300W in ideal conditions.

Also, the Renogy MPPT Charge Controller has an Equalization Mode in addition to the three standard charging modes. As a result I am going to live with my stock WFCO Converter until it needs replaced now. I’m not even plugging in anymore when the rig is sitting in the driveway.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.