Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 12:04 PM   #20
ournextstop

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Palazzo
State: Florida
THOR #2248
It has not been mentioned here, but my experience with this new-to-us Thor and our previous RVs with "smart" inverter/chargers is the chassis batteries are not charged when plugged in to shore power of any type or running the generator.
You can normally use the Aux Start switch to get the engine started but in our current situation where we are parked for several months at a location where we are volunteering we found we could not raise/lower the window shade or listen to the radio because the chassis batteries were dead after being here a few weeks. Also, not a good idea to leave batteries in discharged state for too long!
Another issue I find out about in a previous coach that the small low amp battery tenders can drain batteries very slowly when they are not plugged in. That is normally not a problem, unless you dry camp a lot.
To avoid the problem I have used for some years an Amp-L-Start or its smaller brother the Trik-L-Start. When charging voltage is present they divert a small amount to the chassis batteries and keep them charged also. If no charging voltage is present, they keep the batteries isolated as normal.
The company that makes them, LSL Products is very customer friendly and stands behind the product. Their web-site is LSL Products / LSLProducts.com - Problem-Solving Gear & Gadgets
I have no connection with the company other then as a satisfied customer. The devices are particularly easy to install if your coach and chassis batteries are in the same compartment, if not they have instructions for hooking up thru the aux start solenoid or battery isolator.
Check them out. The difference between the Amp-L-Start, Trick-L-Start is the amount of charging current they can divert.
Hope this helps.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.