Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: A/C
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2019, 11:25 PM   #15
TurnerFam

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Georgia
THOR #4735
...there are a lot of RVing 'myths' floating around, and maybe due to being constantly handed down and revived from 'old school' situations and issues that don't apply today...

The air conditioners on the roof the RV don't care whether they are on Shore Power or Generator power.
They don't care if you turn the thermostat up, causing them to shut off, or whether you turn around and turn the thermostat down to cause them to run again... they are designed to do that, all the time, all day long, if needed.

If you suddenly remove power from the roof air conditioner, it immediately stops - it lost all power.
If power is 'suddenly' or 'immediately' restored, it starts the fan, and 10 or seconds later it starts the compressor.... that's it. Even it doesn't 'wait several minutes' before powering back up, it doesn't need any kind of 'waiting'.

I have arrived at rv parks, while running my roof air conditioners while traveling in very hot weather, and immediately plugged into shore power, and then turning off the generator. The air conditioners just keep running, they know no different.

I have an AGS which can crank the Generator automatically, whether while sleeping, or while away, to run the roof air conditioners. When the run time is over, or the temperature has been reached, the AGS shuts down the generator - suddenly all power is lost, and yet the air conditioners don't care. They just stop. No worries.

I've been plugged into shore power, getting ready to leave mid-day in the hot summer months, and cranked the generator in order to keep the a/c's running while we are leaving - the air conditioners just keep on going when I unplug from shore power, because the ATS has already moved the power from the Shore to the Generator - no stopping is or was or will be required.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.