Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 01:14 PM   #44
gmc

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 32A
State: Florida
THOR #2829
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkoldman View Post
I also follow that It is best to go get the weight at scale but I can't do that until I buy an RV. My point, is that I don't want to buy an RV where I can't safely pull my boat. It is a reason I own a boat already. I have never gone camping anywhere where a lake / river was not nearby. I am just taken by surprise that it is even a question, and can be so close to being over limit. 6.8L Triton V10!!!
I missed that you didn't own the rig yet... (I was using the app which doesn't show the 'signatures' you see in the browser for some reason).

As at least some states require curb weight for registration/title, I expect the dealer would have that information in their paperwork for a given rig. That wouldn't include any fuel/water/propane, but that can be calculated.
It should be safe to assume that GCVWR - GVWR = minimal towing capacity - assuming hitch rating allows... as the loaded weight of rig should be below GVWR. The actual weight comes in to play to see if you can tow MORE than that difference.

That said - I have seen some rigs in past that really don't leave much weight for 'stuff' - but was more on the F350 chassis they moved away from. I'd expect no issue on F53 as long as you are 'reasonable' on contents.

As was stated earlier - it is not just the engine that determines capabilities. There are multiple variations of the F53 varying components like axles to meet a given weight rating. Not every application needs (or wants to pay for) the highest capacity.
2014 Hurricane 32A
2000 Infinity (previous)
gmc is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.