Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2019, 03:08 PM   #11
Oneilkeys

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Travato
State: Florida
THOR #1765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
What’s wrong with 12V refrigerator? Most camper vans have gone to DC compressor refrigerators in place of propane-fueled or electric-heated absorption refrigerators. That refrigerator under the counter is tiny (I’d guess 3~4 cubic feet) and should require only about 30 Watts to run. Propane would add weight, require an opening for venting (which look worse in vans), and make fridge capacity even lower. Efficient DC compressor refrigerators are the future, even in larger rigs. You can now get them up to ~ 10 cubic feet that fit in previous 7~8 cubic-foot space. The issue for me is that it’s too small, and too low.

Thanks for posting La Mesa ad. It’s interesting that the price is almost half of what the more expensive Thor Class Bs go for. It’s no wonder Thor’s market share of Class Bs has been so low. There can’t be that many buyers looking to spend $150,000 on a van.

That same floorplan doesn’t appear to me to have worked out as well for Winnebago as the 59G which is more Hymer-like. I’d be curious to know why they went with that floorplan (which also didn’t last with Axis/Vegas). The motorhome’s size and price is good, but the floorplan is nothing I’d consider.
My last 12v fridge was on my first RV (2006) and it did not work at all on 12v. It was a 3 way Dometic (I believe) which worked on either 110 or propane but wouldn’t keep anything even cool on 12v. I will be interested in seeing comments on how owners like the 12v fridge and in reading anything else on it. Everything else has improved in the last 13 years since my last 12v fridge, so I am open to seeing if this one works. I agree with the size and especially with having to crawl on the floor to use it. That was one if the nice things in upgrading to a Class C and now an A. If you go from an A to a B, you have to expect downsizing mostly everything. You’re right in that the fridge is one area you would like to see stay as big as possible. Since there is already a propane tank in the Sequence for the burners and I guess the hot water and heat (?), a dual propane fridge would give you an option while dry camping. Given the size of the water and holding tanks, it would be more challenging to balance water, waste, battery and propane supplies. I love my Axis (we have had one since 2014 and driven it all over the US and Canada) but we don’t go on 3-4 month trips anymore and primarily use our RV to travel from Florida to Nova Scotia and back in the summer. For a couple of three week trips a year and additional weekenders, a Class B might make sense for us - especially if I could use it for a second car and downsize to a car and a van instead of two cars and an RV that sits most of the year. Something to explore in the RV shows in Florida this winter. By then there should be some more info out there.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.