Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2019, 12:37 PM   #11
dkoldman

Brand: Still Looking
Model: Sunstar 29VE Winnebago
State: Texas
THOR #13058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squerly View Post
It's a combination of several things, DK.
  • Build quality is a big factor.
  • More bang for the buck is another.
  • It doesn't bother me at all to bypass the "out the door depreciation" of a new motor home.
A new 2008, 42' Fleetwood Revolution was arguably a 3-4 hundred thousand dollar motor home. As such, it is appointed well, has a diesel engine, an honest set of house batteries, inverter, tile floors, washer/dryer, etc., etc. and can be purchased for about $105K with less than 40,000 miles.

A 2020, 37' Thor Challenger 37TB, albeit an extremely nice motor home, is a V10, vinyl floor, very basic house batteries, inverter? And is priced at around $148K.

I'd rather save the 40K and have a bigger, better built coach than I would to have a newer, smaller coach with less appointments. I've posted a few pictures of the 2008 Revolution and the 2020 Challenger for comparison.

The first 5 are of the 2020 Thor Challenger, the last 5 are of the 2008 Revolution. You don't have to look to hard to see the difference in build quality between the two.
Both are very nice coaches. I get the buy preowned to benefit from the depreciation angle. I guess it wasn't clear to me that in a number of post on this site, I will read where some are complaining about the quality of a new coach and then end with that is why they prefer to buy preowned? i.e. I will buy a preowned Cadillac XT5 without blinking if it is low miles and clean. But if I felt Cadillac make crappy poor quality brand new vehicles, seem like the last thing I would want to do is buy a used Cadillac XT5.

Why is this relevant to me? Take the money / depreciation out of the equation. If your were looking to buy your very first RV, which would you buy hoping to have the least amount of things to worry with to fix, break downs etc.? Brand new or preowned?
2019 Sunstar 29ve; Toad Lincoln Navigator; RVi Brake 3 & Command Center; Roadmaster Nighthawk Tow bar & Baseplate; Sumo Springs; Safe T Plus; Onan EC-30 AGS; Vmax 250ah AGM; T-Mobile Internet; H/W Heater / Chassis Disconnect Switches; Southwire Surge Guard 44270 & 34951 w/Monitor 40301; Jet Flo Macerator; Alpine SPE500 Speakers; Visio M21D-H8R
dkoldman is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.