Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2015, 03:20 PM   #13
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by groswald View Post
Chance,

Max tow capacity on a loaded Axis is 6000 lbs, even with an 8k hitch. That is based on the chassis' GCWR - GVWR. That doesn't change with the extension.

The extension is actually mid-chassis. They extend the driveshaft too. They cut both in the middle and splice in an extension.

I guess I'll shoot a note to Draw-tite for an answer to my question.

Regards,

Randy
Yes Randy, that's correct; I'm aware all Axis/Vegas have their wheelbase extended -- at least a foot or so. The splice is close to front -- just behind transmission.

Again, I may be recalling incorrectly, but I thought that the very back of Axis/Vegas chassis is also extended in area where receiver mounts. But to be honest, I've looked at so many motorhomes lately trying to find just the right one that I may have it confused with another model. Having said that, it seems most motorhomes have some rear extension as well. I've assumed for years that that extension may limit tow rating some of the time otherwise Class As on Ford F-53 chassis (essentially a truck chassis) could have larger receivers, but usually don't.

Please let us know what they say about hitch rating when applied to flat-towing a toad. I've never seen it addressed and it is of interest.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum