Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 07-31-2019, 03:46 PM   #17
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladybug View Post

......cut.....

Am I just imagining things, or should it at least be keeping it 10-15 degrees cooler than outside? Any help is appreciated!

.....cut......

How cold RV gets relative to outside temperature is a poor indicator of how well your A/C is working (relative to its capacity). I would not go by that because it may just be undersized, yet working perfectly.

A better test is to take temperatures going in and out of A/C inside the motorhome. As discussed in other threads, that will indicate much more information regarding whether you’re getting the full 15,000 BTU/hr of cooling that it’s designed to put out.

My technical guess is that one 15,000 BTU/hr A/C is insufficient on a hot day to cool a motorhome that is 32’-7” long and has a full wall slide. That’s roughly twice as large a living area as my previous Class C and it didn’t cool great on hot sunny days with one A/C.

Notice in specs that Thor now offers two 11,000 BTU/hr air conditioners for floorplans KW29 and larger. That is almost 50% more cooling than a 15,000 A/C and much more than suggested “upgrades” can provide. Some upgrades that fix problems like leaks are definitely of value, but others that supposedly increase the A/C’s cooling capacity are more questionable as to their magnitude.

Depending on your tolerance to heat and humidity, you’ll probably end up needing a second A/C on hot days.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum