Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: 220v dryer
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 01:04 PM   #19
Porthole

Brand: DRV
Model: 2019 MS 39DBRS3
State: Delaware
THOR #9431
Quote:
Originally Posted by retispcsi View Post
Kicking around ideas for a new build. I know that you need a 220 volt gennie for off shore powet use. My question is when on shore power 50 amp does dryer run without issue ie using ac at same time. Any info is welcome I always had 110 volt dryers in rv.
Well I guess for starters I better go unplug my RV and undo my 240 Cheapheat wired in from the panel with the main in the center

Will also have to advise my wife to stop running the dryer when not plugged in

When we built the trailer I considered the 240 volt option. But in the 9 years previous with a 120 volt Splendide combo we never felt a need for more current capability. Don't know if a 240 dryer would have worked better but I do know that:
a) our combo dried the clothes just fine
b) it would run when on 30 amp service, which we are on maybe 1/3 of our trips
c) it would also run on the 5500 gasoline gen that came standard with our rig
d) it would run on my 3000 watt pure sine inverter, which we frequently did when leaving camp.

And from experience I can tell you that sometimes the clothes were so hot coming out of the dryer you'd almost think a match would light off if you touched it to the jeans riviets.

On this build the 240 gens didn't fit our need or budget. I wanted diesel and the 8KW was the best choice all around but only 120 volt. It will run all three AC's and everything else in the trailer.

And I still haven't found that side by side comparison of 120 versus 240 dryers in a RV.

The 240 may be more efficient in actual use, but for us efficiency is being able to run the the dryer everywhere and anywhere.

If I was to order a new RV I might op for the 240 outlet, as it is way easier to pay for it and let it be done during the build. That way you have choices.

BTW, if you op for the Magnum MSH3012 inverter you can also run the the 120 volt dryer on a 20 amp circuit (with decent batteries).

2019 DRV MS 39DBRS3
2020 F-450
Porthole is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum