Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2019, 11:51 PM   #1
LandKO

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Freedom Elite 30FE
State: Arkansas
THOR #12827
Backup Camera usefulness

Like may others, our MH came with a so-called “backup camera” that is displayed on the in dash radio screen. I’ve found that this setup is useful when watching the toad while traveling, but that’s about it.
For me however, the location of the display in the dash makes it almost useless while backing up the MH (toad disconnected of course).
I find it difficult to continually have to look down to see the display and up to use the external mirrors while backing up. Maybe is just me, but I end up forgetting to look at the screen because I’m concentrating on the mirrors. This got me in trouble a couple of weeks ago. I was backing up and turning at the same time and failed to see that I was backing into an object (couldn’t see it in the mirrors). Did some minor damage to the rear mounted ladder.
When we had our TT I used a Garmin RV760imt GPS that had a BC30 wireless camera for backing up the trailer. When I got rid of the trailer, I removed the camera and put it in my storage shed.
After my little mishap, I decided to mount the BC30 as added insurance to my backup abilities. This has worked our well because my GPS is mounted to the windshield via a suction cup mount, which puts the screen at the same vision level as the rear view mirrors. Plus it has the guide lines to aid in backing in between objects.
Click image for larger version

Name:	6D14B560-F412-43C4-9257-0558F28C88EF.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	109.0 KB
ID:	19346
The photo shows the toad attached, but after I disconnected it, I was able to back into my yard without hitting anything.
LandKO is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.