Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2019, 09:10 PM   #28
The_Breeze

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post
... a simple rule-of-thumb is that a 4-down setup is going to cost you roughly the same as a tow dolly....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

there are pros and cons to both, so the choice is yours.

He's right about price and I'll add some additional comments: I find it easier to stow the tow bar set up if I'm staying somewhere long term. I can stash the tow bar, wiring, and brake assist in a storage bay of the RV - out of sight and out of the way.

My set up cost me about 1500. All of the stuff was used and bought on this forum. Good people, good deals. I did all the labor myself: base plate, wiring harness, brake assist, etc. I have the tools (e.g. torque wrench).

If you plan to do the install yourself, do some research on your firewall passage ways. The reason I say that is because I stumbled across a forum that was guiding someone through routing a 12v power source into the cabin of their vehicle. That's how I found out about a hidden rubber grommet I could use/modify/seal to carry the 12v payload I needed for the brake assist.

Don't skimp on a brake assist for two reasons: 1) all of them have a break-away switch. God forbid the toad breaks loose from the RV, the brake assist will apply the brakes and bring the vehicle to a stop. You don't want to be responsible for killing a family of 4 because you cheaped out on a brake assist. 2) Flip a coin. You can replace the brakes in your RV sooner because it has to stop a heavier load, or as I do, replace both sets of brakes because the brake assist is a proportional braking system (Blue Ox Patriot). It applies the brakes in the toad as the RV’s brakes are applied. There’s a ‘gain’ setting on the brake-assist to adjust the proportion. You can have the RV take more of the load of slowing the toad or the toad can bear most of the burden of slowing itself. If you forego a brake assist all together, have a darn good insurance policy or you could find yourself in the poor house real fast. JMHO.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum