Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 08-26-2019, 02:41 PM   #1201
vfrhugh

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Compass 23TR
State: Texas
THOR #7972
I really like our 23TR in spite of all the QC issues. So far I’ve been able to fix everything myself. It’s size is perfect for our travel style. Wife likes to explore small town historic districts and farmers markets. We just got back from Colorado and had a great time escaping the Texas heat. My only problem is the confidence in the 3.2 Diesel engine. In 14,000 miles I’ve had four “Reduced Power” issues. The first three were related to DPF software problems. Ford eventually solved the problem after three trips to the only dealer in Houston that will work on a Transit based rv. On the way home from this last trip about 450 miles into a 500 mile day we experienced another reduced power episode. This one was more dramatic than the DPF events. I had to stop and restart the engine to continue. This was literally in the middle of no where west Texas. Fortunately we were able limp into an rv park near Quanah,
TX 90 miles from Wichita Falls. The next morning I still had a red check engine light but power seemed ok. Because Ford would tow me to the nearest dealer under warranty I decided to chance driving on to Wichita Falls. The check engine light changer to yellow and everything seemed normal again. We filled up in Wichita Falls and basically drove home ,416miles, at 55 mph. A stressful end to an otherwise great trip.
Ford worked on it for three days and never found the problem. They think it was a bad connection in the wiring harnesses and if it happens again to bring it back in.
There are medical reasons why I can’t be stranded for more than a day. As much as we like our Compass I’m looking for an MB powered replacement. Not that easy
Hugh

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum