Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2019, 08:26 PM   #3
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerFam View Post

.....cut.....

I'm also not sure why a motorhome of that length would need a tandem axle, unless it's somehow required by road laws...
My guess is that it’s mostly due to added weight (saw up to 5.5 tonnes in one video, or 12,125 pounds). Previous largest of this model was 7.9 meters, or 26 feet long and has single rear wheels and single rear axle.

Also, these motorhomes are built much lower to ground, so if built longer with single rear axle, the longer rear overhang would make it easier to scrape on driveways, curbs, or wheelbase to hang-up over tracks, etc....

It uses an advanced motorhome-specific chassis, so ride and handling quality should be to German standards (for a motorhome). Regardless, I like the appearance of tandems a lot, although I would want a shorter version anyway which would have a single rear axle.

Short video shows double-floor integrated chassis.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.