Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2019, 08:39 PM   #15
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gritz Carlton View Post
The single tire tandems are no different than dual rear wheel set up as we have here as far as weight management goes. Biggest advantage is they are outbound, inline which allows for a lower COG at the same time and it opens a wider floor space between them. Beds and cabinets can be built over the narrow area used for wheel wells. Not a bad design. I imagine the front rear axle pulls and the rear two are just individual floaters without a connection between them, side to side.

If you look at drawing of Hymer advanced chassis above, you’ll see it’s front wheel drive, so rear tandems are not driven. Like on most larger trailers, I think it makes a lot more sense to have twin axles than a single axle with duallies.

I agree it provides better stability due to wider track, lower unsprung mass for better ride, easier maintenance and flat-tire change, and also very important that they can fit four brakes instead of two at rear.

It’s similar design General Motors used in the FWD classic motorhomes built in the 70s which used Olds Tornado FWD engine and transmission. I have recently learned those old GM had issues with hard braking but I suspect German mechanical engineers wouldn’t repeat that flaw.

I personally like the looks of rear single tandems. During hurricane coverage I noticed most larger military trucks also use rear tandem axles with single tires, except all axles are driven for off-road capability.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.