Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2019, 01:17 AM   #6
The_Breeze

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 31L
State: Florida
THOR #12189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm View Post
Anyone towing a Ford Edge? What are you using (tow dolly/trailer)? We are planning to use a tow dolly so also interested in anyone's experience.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arm View Post
Thanks!
You opened yourself a can of worms and they're still alive. There's few bad answers here and less bad opinions. Weigh them for yourself.

I tow a 2004 Edge. You didn't mention what year yours is or what you'll use to tow her with. You should consult both Owner's Manuals. The RV for GCVWR and tow hitch capacity (applies tow bar or dolly) and the Edge for towing instructions.

I tow mine 4 down. She has a manual transmission and weighs 3500 with a 1/2 tank of gas. Here's my setup:

33' 2017 Thor Chateau, Triton V10
BRK2012 Blue Ox Patriot Brake System
BX4330 Blue Ox Tow BarRM 477-1
Roadmaster XL Base Plate Kit - Removable Arms
RM-033 RoadMaster Base Plate to Blue Ox and Demco Tow Bars Adapter
RM-154 Roadmaster Universal Hy-Power Diode Wiring Kit

There's some wiring tricks I can share if you're interested. Bottom line is if you tow, you should be running a break-away system. Should the toad (towed) become separated from the RV, the breakaway will engage the brakes and attempt to bring the vehicle to a stop. It's a no brainer.

I did the install myself and I can try to help you through it. My toad wiring might be a bit anal for the average bear. I had the tools and budget. It works well and has followed me through some heavy learning. I was lucky to come across it when I did.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.