Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 09-15-2019, 07:25 PM   #38
DaveAk1ns

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Thor Compass 23TR
State: New York
THOR #12187
Lightbulb Custom Drone Base in Thor Compass

Love my drones! Hate the hassles, so I spent some free time on a fun drone RV project recently and thought this might be a good thread to demo some of it.

We hardly every use the shower in our 2018 Thor Compass mini C, so I built a reverse-tension 3-tier shelf system that supports itself in the RV's shower stall. It "snaps" easily in and out when we want to use the shower and is strong and stable. I made the shelves and frame elements so they're in a constant state of tension against adjacent elements, but not too much. It doesn't even wiggle on bumpy roads, so it works well and I have several thousand miles on it for testing.

The 1/4" luan shelves hold the GoPro and other drones so they're always ready to launch. Two shelves act as gear storage and hard-wired charging stations for the batteries, controllers and my ham radio rigs. (On either side of the front two vertical white support rods are stowed ham radio antennas.) The GoPro is perched on the top landing shelf in the photo. I am modifying the dome skylight now to operate remotely so it's easier to launch and recover drones through the vehicle's roof hatch. It's a blast to do.

The Compass' outdoor TV/monitor works great for live drone video feeds, so everyone can enjoy the flight from the camera's perspective. Next, I'll program the GoPro's tracker to orbit the Compass while I'm driving down a nice winding road.. no wait, that could be worse than texting while driving. Scratch that last idea!

Be Safe,
Dave Ak1ns, HEADNOUT
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DRONE1.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	20292  

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.