Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2019, 08:33 PM   #16
Beau388

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Hurricane 31S
State: Texas
THOR #6411
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky-in-AR View Post
New RV’r here. When driving to a site I have the generator on for the air conditioners. When I arrive at a site I have been leaving the generator on while connecting the power to the pedestal. Once the surge protector comes ready, I turn the generator. Is this a bad thing?
Every installation guide for an ATS states that it is necessary to reduce heavy inductive (motor or coil) loads before switch to or from shore/generator power. The reason is an electrical phenomenon labeled back EMF. When you open a relay powering a motor, the back emf will cause a large high amperage arc which will melt the surface of the contacts. Without getting to an electrical discussion, let's say the electrons storied in the motor have to go somewhere and they choose to go back from where they came. Will the relay fail immediately - no. Will the relay contacts wear over time - yes. Could the contacts fuse from the heat if the relay vibrated - yes.
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum