Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Thread: Garmin RV 780
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
16ACE27
Site Team

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 27.1
State: Florida
THOR #7035
Have you setup your vehicle information (weight, height, etc)?

That "should" help.

But I will tell you that the algorithm the Garmin has been using this last few years for trip routing has some serious flaws: not just in routing your RV where it shouldn't go, but just in routing altogether.

Since Lowrance gave up on the auto GPS market I have used Garmin GPS in all my vehicles and have been very happy with them, even more so after I bought a Magellan combo GPS/dashcam unit on sale and discovered what a piece of crap that was.

So when I got our MH I purchased a Garmin RV660 GPS. It continually routes me out of the way unnecessarily extending my travel time for no reason. It seems to get worse every time it's updated.

This year I needed a new GPS for my daily driver as the old Garmin in it refused to auto zoom correctly anymore: If you were traveling fast it zoomed in to street level and if you were traveling slow it would zoom out so you couldn't even see the road you were traveling on. So I got a new Garmin Drive 5" LM EX GPS. It suffers from the same poor routing problem.

To give you a simple example:

This is the Clearwater/Largo area near Tampa. Driving east on Ulmerton road the GPS will take you off the main road at the intersection onto the ramp and then back onto Ulmerton road instead on just going straight on Ulmerton road.

How crazy is that?

Bottom line is: The GPS is just one input into your route planning, don't follow it blindly.
2020 Chevy Colorado Z71 Trail Runner Toad
2024 Chevrolet Trax 2RS - Soon 2B TOAD
16ACE27 is offline   Reply With Quote

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.