Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2019, 02:56 PM   #5
ducksface

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2018 24.1 AXISSIXxSIX
State: Arizona
THOR #13932
Turner is correct in all his aspects.
The 'wet field' thing is very real/often, even in campgrounds, and certainly in places like harvest host that might not be set up, and the reason I added 4wd to the 24.1. I got lucky in that as a side affect it turned me into basically an f550 and all the'blowing around'on the road problems disappeared, but it was fear of fields, berms, and soft shoulders and event overflow parking, that was the only reason.

We just haven't had time to harvest host yet.
USUALLY when we travel we actually, physically, flip a coin when we come to a crossroads.
Our travel hasn't been usual this first year in the rv. It's been places to be on tighter than liked timelines, and after purchasing the harvest host, a lull.

We're really really, like a gambled $119 of so far wasted membership worth of really, looking forward to using it. We're not excited often, but we're a little excited to try it.
We don't golf, don't drink wine or craft beer, am far too picky about our hard liquor, but we'll buy a bottle wherever we stay. They'll be Christmas and birthday, and 'why the hell not' presents.

We bought the dream of a picturesque place to ourselves after hours , no other reason. We'll often settle for a parking lot in a wierd neighborhood, at a place that makes bad wine is the actual truth we expect. I think one nice stay will pay for the year in value and new acquaintance.

There is no joy in a paved KOA. No reason to be there except convenience. We'll easily adapt to 'a bit off the road most travelled' and have (we expect and pray and hope) a better experience than some damn stop in some damn campground that is 50% LONG time residents. Ten miles out of the way has seemed a pretty nice alternative sometimes.

As Turner said, it's off the path and certainly not a definite plan... A hobby maybe....
Harvest host would be a nice, and fulfilling hobby. A roulette wheel spin during a casual rv spin...we'll hobby it. It'll give us something to do on the road. We're pretty jaded traveller's, this will unjade us and open new doors.

Boondockers welcome? This worries me a bit about underlying reasons for someone offering a site. I sure don't want to be captive to cult talk, or politics or barking dogs(insert your own nightmare stay in someone's personal front yard). We'll still sign up. I'm a Wildman that way.

About our 'flip a coin' path of travel.
We once went over (in our little expeditionary vehicle) a part of the Oregon trail a motorized vehicle hadn't been in fifty years according to the local that let us over it(damn GPS maps. It's why I always have at least two different ones going).

The only time we did circles was between page and Kayenta AZ. Three circles on reservation dirt roads and we gave up and moved 300 miles and started over.
We've been on the north side of Yellowstone too many times. Coins love that far gate

(so many words because I'm so unsure and anticipatory. I sure want this to be like the YouTube videos and have no reason to do anything but support the fine minded family that purchased harvest host from the thoughtful family that founded it.
I consider my so far unused membership a donation to a fine effort.)

YouTube has many, hundreds maybe, videos of regular rv folk at regular harvest host spots.
What was said about not knowing where they are until you sign up:
It was an awakening once we signed up. I think there's only one north of Phoenix all the way to Salt Lake where I think there's another before you get to Canadia. They seem to add more than fifty a month of spots so I might be way off, but there are vast swaths, of none.
Some are as dense as many per 10x10 miles or so.
Don't expect one in every burg.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum