Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2019, 01:47 AM   #30
Chance

Brand: Still Looking
State: Texas
THOR #2121
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamieGeek View Post
Keep in mind, however, that a class B has all of the OEM designed sound suppression in it. This would make the main engine very quiet compared to your average 5kW Onan in a coach.
I agree, although no idling restrictions will make it necessary (or at least preferable) to not run van or motorhome engine during the night.

Fortunately, at night a van can be cooled easily with 5,000 BTU/hr A/C, and I’d bet with good insulation and quality windows it can be done with much less than that.

Basically, these battery banks with useable 600+ Amp-hour (13 VDC) should keep a van cool all night without needing the engine. What’s missing are compact DC air conditioners that are much smaller than the 20,000 BTU/hr unit used by Coachmen, but with similar energy efficiency ratings of around 16~17. There are smaller rooftop A/Cs powered by 12 VDC, but the ones I’ve seen are too small for daytime cooling. Something in the 10,000 to 12,000 BTU/hr range with ability to operate at about 3,000 BTU/hr or lower is needed badly. With a good turndown ratio it will also make the A/C quieter at night.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.