Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-05-2019, 05:56 AM   #13
lal22

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: ACE 30.1
State: Ohio
THOR #14952
UPDATE: The detailer that I originally hired to fix the mess that "Spray & Forget" caused has disappeared off the face of the earth. I haven't been able to reach him by phone, text or email. So I started the process over of finding another detailer. Several got back to me with a quotes ranging from $800-$2500. I had to pay a deposit to the one I hired, which was $2.25 a mile for anything over 15 miles from their office, non- refundable. They travel all over Ohio & have been stood up too many times, so they now make you pay that part up front.

During my conversation with him I was educated on a few things. First, he has been in the business for many years & he states there are all sorts of "fly by night detailers". I told him I got the referral from a very large RV dealer in central Ohio. He said they use the cheapest person they can find & many times he has had to fix what they have done. Here today, gone tomorrow, no one to stand behind the work. I got the impression that I was lucky I didn't use the original detailer b/c this one told me he would never, ever spray an entire rig with a chemical stripper to remove the "Spray & Forget" product. He does it all by hand and the process can take from 4-8 times to remove it all. That is why he gives a price range for the job. They are always booked about a month in advance, so my appt is for 11/1. If the temp is lower than 40 degrees then they reschedule. He's said he does a lot of insurance claims made possible by people like me who use something off the shelf. He said it is 50/50 whether I have damaged the gel coat. If I have, then the entire rig will have to get repainted. He advised me to notify my insurance company about what has happened, but do not have then pay yet. Have them wait until he sees if he can remove everything & restore the finish. He also stated that when the time comes for the manufacturer of a product that has ruined a finish, most of them refuse to pay, saying that the exact method either during the application or removal wasn't followed. The consumer is left paying for everything. I hope and pray this manufacturer doesn't do this to me.

This whole thing is a nightmare. I still try to not look at the RV when I go outside because it makes me so upset over what has transpired. Nothing like having that huge RV in the driveway to remind you daily. Nothing else I can do at this point, just have to wait, see what can be accomplished by the detailer. I was strongly advised to leave it alone, don't try to remove it myself. I will NOT drive the RV anywhere until it is restored, too embarrassing.

I have learned my lesson and I just hope my message prevents someone else from repeating what I did. That's my story & I am sticking to it.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.