Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 02:42 AM   #2
javelin

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 2013 ACE 30.1
State: Alberta
THOR #2631
Attaching a schematic I scrounged off the Forum from another contributor who was having battery problems.......does this seem to represent your coach as well? If so, I think the relay marked ISO represents the Trombetta.

1. If the Trombetta relay (also called interconnect or isolation relay by some) has been operated by the BIRD as you say, you should see the same charging voltage level from the alternator on both main terminals on the Trombetta. You could also connect your voltmeter – probe to ground and measure the voltage (+ probe) on each main contact of the Trombetta (two readings) and if the two values measured have less than 0.2 volts difference, the relay is considered closed and functioning. Greater then 0.2 volts difference and the contacts are considered bad. Replace the relay. This would work the other way too (shore power connected; converter (or inverter/charger) charging coach batteries and Trombetta then closes to connect charging voltage to chassis batteries.
2. I usually suggest changing failed parts with the same part # replacements mainly to ensure that re-installation is a no brainer......same dimensions; same connection points; same engineering spec to match OEM design. If a part continues to fail regularly and has clearly been under designed then using an equivalent with superior specs can be an alternative to OEM. You have to do some homework to make sure the replacement will fit all the requirements.
3. Yes using the chassis battery disconnect and coach battery disconnect (if equipped) will work plus no gen running; no shore power connected for added insurance. If you are replacing the Trombetta, which should have connections to both battery strings......you should isolate both battery strings for safety. The other option is remove the main ground connection to chassis for each battery string (coach and chassis) to ensure the batteries are not connected. You will likely have radio memory loss and possibly Firefly settings if equipped; AGStart settings possibly; not sure if the PCM will also have to re-learn its settings by driving the coach for “x” miles. I am sure others can add more specifics here since I am not familiar with your coach details.
4. I am sure they will chime in......
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Palazzo Battery Compartment Wiring.pdf (183.6 KB, 216 views)

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum