Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 11:36 PM   #9
71chevelle

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
State: Texas
THOR #16927
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVwithDogs View Post
Can someone give me an idea of what I might expect for maintenance cost and dependability if I switch to Mercedes-Benz / V6 Sprinter based unit ? I am thinking of upgrading and have some worries due to my ignorance about diesels. I am looking at years 2014 to now. Is one year better than another for the Sprinters ?
I have a 2017 Thor Sesta 24SA on Mercedes Benz 3500 with diesel engine. We just got back from a two week trip to Colorado and New Mexico. I towed a small buick on a dolly. I have learned several things. A second oil change is very expensive at MB dealer, I paid over $950 in Midland, Texas. Also the ability to pull much is limited to 5000 pounds and that is not enough for many 4 down rigs. I have a car dolly and hate it. Too hard to hook up, straps come off and difficult for a 71 year old to take off.
It drives well and has enough power in the mountains if I USE THE GEARS. I would be very careful examining the beds on the unit you are looking at because ours is not a slide out bed and too small for two.
If I buy another one it will be longer, bigger bed, and tow at least 8000 lb. I do not get very good MPG about 10 1/2 to 12.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum