Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2019, 05:58 PM   #22
Machinetools1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29m
State: California
THOR #16201
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmc View Post
Glad you had a great time!

The converter as you said converts 110v AC to 12v DC... It is used to provide 12v to the coach when shore power/generator power is present - and of course also charges the coach batteries (and chassis on most class A's)
The inverter converts 12v DC to 110v AC - Typically the inverter powers only a few items in most RVs - residential fridge if present, TVs are another common one... (Large diesel pushers power virtually everything...)
The inverter typically has an internal transfer switch - so if 110v power is available from either generator or shore power - it just passes it through... It only 'inverts' 12v to 110 when no 110 source is present.

So with generator on - the output of the inverter should be the 110v from the generator.

With the generator off/shore power disconnected, the output should still be 110v, but would be the result of inverting the 12v input.
I have an appointment with the RV dealership but it is 2 months out. I can fix this myself I just need to understand the concept. What is the best way to test the converter and the inverter with a volt meter. I believe the converter is the issue and not the inverter. As it he inverter does not charge the battery but the converter does with the generator on. Also with the inverter on everything works. What is the best way to test the converter. As stated earlier I can fix this myself I just. Need to know how.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum