RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
sanjaun2

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Chateau 24FS
State: New Mexico
THOR #12181
I removed the 12vdc battery It came with along with another I added. I bought 4 GC2 6vdc golf cart batteries from Costco @ $89 each. I then disabled all power sources on the motorhome. I removed the battery tray from the MH. Even though it was pretty new there was a lot of corrosion from the cheap batteries leaking I guess. I pressure washed it real good. The tray will not fit 4 batteries as made.
I then flattened out the bottom rail opposite the side with the vertical supports. (With big adjustable wrenches and huge sledge hammer) then I cut a piece of heavy duty angle iron and welded it in place to widen the battery tray so I would except the new batteries sideways instead of lengthwise. I then cut a heavy gauge plate to bolt to the entire base of the tray to reinforce it for the extra weight. I painted the whole tray with rust-olium enamel paint. I made the tray 1.5 inches wider than the batteries because I knew installing them was gonna be a bear. It was! The trick to the install was that I flipped the tray 180 degrees and redrilled the mounting holes in the sprinter frame outboard about 2 inches. If you are thinking about trying this, Measure 3x and take your time. I did it on my gravel driveway by myself and was pretty challenging.I rewired the whole area since I was not happy with the stock wire routing.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.