Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2019, 02:40 PM   #34
Machinetools1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29m
State: California
THOR #16201
Hello Javelin, I hope your day is going well. First offthank you for helping me get a better understanding of the electrical system inmy motorhome.
First off, with the USE/STORE rocker button on and when Iturned on the generator it was about 20-30 seconds before I heard the snap of somethingengaging under the bed and I saw the clock on the microwave turn on ( I had themattress off the bed and the plywood panel off and was looking at the wiring, justnot sure where the sound came from. I believe it came from the transfer switch,I will pay more attention next time). Allthe lights and both air conditioners were on and under generator power andbefore I turned the USE/STORE switch off everything was working but thegenerator was not charging the batteries. I turned off the USE/SHORE rocker button of and everything died. At thistime when I was under generator power, I did not have the 50-amp shore powerconnected to the motorhome and it was not getting 50-amps from my house. It wasunplugged. I did not think I wanted the50-amp shore power plugged in and getting power from the house at the same timeI was running the generator for power. I thought if I was running the generatorand I turned the USE/SHORE rocker switch to SHORE (disconnecting) it wouldresort back to using the power from the 50-amp shore power and I would not seeif the converter was charging the batteries as the shore power would becharging the batteries. I think I amwrong on this thinking. Should I have the 50-amp shore power connected when Ihave the generator on when I do this test?

What converter output voltage doyou read with use/store turned off?If you turn off gen and connect shore power (transfer switchreturns to shore power feed) do you still get 120vac on the input of theconverter? If yes what do you measure now on the output of the converter withuse/store off? With use/store on?

I did not check the output voltage with the USE/STORE turnedoff. I did not check the input power for the converter when I was connected toshore power. I will check today after I get off work. When I check do I keep the (Red) positive and(White) neutral connected to the output of the converter or do I unhook themand just check the output lugs?

Your coach batteries are fullydischarged at anything below 11.9vdc; full charge is 12.6vdc for wet cell types(AGM will be different); but if you measured coach battery terminal voltage atthe DC output of the converter then it sounds like the converter is not workingwith gen as source (from your descriptions).

I discharged the batteries on purpose so Ican see if the converter was going to charge the batteries with the generatorrunning. I checked the voltage of the converter at the output side but the (Red)positiveand the (White) neutral were still hooked up to the output of the dc side ofthe converter. This is when I read the11.9 volts telling me the generator was not charging the house batteries.

So are you disconnecting cables atthe coach batteries; then testing voltage on the wire coming from the converterto chassis ground? Zero VDC would indicate output of converter is dead becausepreviously when the cables were hooked to coach batteries you measured batteryterminal voltage at the converter output (so all breakers and use/store latchrelay should be good between batteries and converter).

I did not disconnect the wires on the batteryterminals but the (Red) positive and the (White) neutral coming out of the dcside of the converter. I left the ground wire still connected to the converterwhen I tested the dc output of the converter.

Use/Store Switch operates orreleases latching relay (look at post #13 right side of schematic); never heardof bypass relay; transfer switch and auto transfer switch are the same thing.

I thank you for that diagram and it helps me alot. I thought the latching relay was my transfer switch. I see where my transfer switch is as it isunder my bed. I am just not sure wheremy latching relay is. When I get home, Iwill take pictures and you can explain to me where it is.

I understand where the USE/STORE switch is and itturns all the power off of the motorhome if you are running on the converter and not on shore power or generator power.
I understand the transfer switch has about a 30 second timer that transfers from generator to 120 vac. Does the transfer switch go both ways... from generator to 120 vac and from 120 vac to generator or does it go just one way.
What does the latching relay do again?

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.