Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Thread: Aria 4000???
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 11:38 PM   #8
VinnieSmith

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Aria 4000
State: Tennessee
THOR #13587
We bought the Aria 4000 new and moved into it full time, mostly as a necessary quick-exit solution, and have been living in it with 2 teen/tween boys for almost a year. We choose that unit due to the large bunks as compared to others, and the two full baths.

Gotta say, GVP really hit the nail on the head, and was very thorough. They had a few different problems than we did. Mechanically, it's wonderful. I would drive it anywhere. The build quality has left some things to be desired- just annoyances, really, but the Firefly electrical system can get buggy (our cargo lights just randomly stopped working early on, and I can't even get the telephone support from Thor to intelligently address it, they just move on to another issue). A majority of our service issues have been with the way they are handled- Thor hands everything off to the dealer, who half-asses or ignores everything, then we're back at step one. I have resolved to handle everything on my own.

We've had hot and freezing weather. Some freeze precautions need to be taken, but not as much as others. The tanks are all insulated, as is the cargo area and plumbing areas. We had some hoses poking through the exterior bottom of the slide which froze up for about 2 days during a particularly cold snap, then back to normal. The heat pumps keep up until you're consistently sub-40, then to save propane (you have to drive it to refill it), we run dual space heaters front and back, after isolating the drivers area with floor-to-ceiling blankets. We continue to have a problem with condensation *inside* the unit when it's really cold outside, and this has caused problems with wet mattresses in the bunks, which isn't really fun.

The AC units do well, but if you don't have shade, the exterior just cooks and they will have trouble keeping up. We had a leak over the master bedroom slider early on, but oddly enough, that resolved itself (and trust me, I've looked for any leak with a vengeance). The two "burner" induction stove is fine for some things, I guess, but the lowest setting will overboil things, and we ended up getting a rice cooker and electric skillet to fill the gaps. We also got a fairly large toaster oven to use, as the convection oven isn't great for baking. BE CAREFUL ABOUT HOW MANY HEATING ELEMENTS ARE RUNNING AT ONCE!

One recurring issue we haven't been able to nail down is that the house charging system (Inverter/Charger) will randomly just stop working, and we watch all our stuff start to brown-out until we turn everything off, and wait 5-10 minutes, then it starts up again. No breakers broken, no fuses popped, just odd.

This house lives 4 people snugly, but fairly comfortably. The master bed and bunks are the always-available beds (except the master while sides are closed). The "tilt-a-view" master bed has a bad habit of randomly flattening out on us when we lay down in it. The drop down bed over the cab seems fine, but we've never used it. It blocks the door area somewhat when lowered. The couch bed has been described as "uncomfortable" and "WTF, they call this a bed?" when folded out. We haven't tried the dinette conversion, as it seems just... awkward. So, for a family of 10, I really hope y'all like each other... a lot.

Mostly happy with our temporary home, regardless of the quirks, however!

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum