Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2019, 02:15 PM   #22
Machinetools1

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: 29m
State: California
THOR #16201
Hi. It is strange that the dash battery lamp came on after a minute or two of the engine running......sounds about the time it would take for an interconnect relay between coach and chassis batteries to be turned on by a BIRD or BIM battery control system (give or take). Since your coach and chassis batteries are seeing the same charging voltage (clearly at a charging level of 13.3 vdc; BIRD, BIM are enabled by alternator above 13.1 vdc approximately if I recall correctly). So is the closing of the interconnect relay causing the battery lamp to light? I don’t see why it would be since you are not on shore and gen is also off. I wonder if both battery strings (coach and chassis) would test good on a load test? It also sounds like the battery light is staying on once it comes on.

The other issue to me is that the charging voltage of 13.3vdc is very low for a “working” alternator especially feeding healthy lightly loaded batteries;....should be 14vdc minimum I would expect (14.5 ish). So my WAG is a bad regulator in the alternator or bad diode(s) perhaps......assuming good batteries; all charging system cables/connectors are clean and tight. I am just guessing here and don’t want you to spring some $$ for a new alternator (and related “class A” work required to change it) if that is not the problem or there is some easily repairable connection being missed.

When I had wrote the last statement we were on the tail end of our camping trip. When we left and on the 6 hour trip back home the battery dash light never went out but had a constant 13.2 volts coming from the chassis battery when I stopped and checked with a volt meter and by the firefly panel in the motorhome. Once We got home I concentrated on the converter issue first to try and find that issue.

You had also said that you had purposely totally discharged the coach battery.

I did discharge the batteries when I was concentrating on the converter issue. I had the motorhome on shore power for a few days and all batteries were charged after I found the converter issue.

Once I figured that issue out and had the motorhome on shore power for a few days and all three (3) batteries were charged I disconnected from the shore power and took the motorhome out, this is when I checked the volts coming from the chassis battery from a volt meter at the chassis battery and at the firefly panel. The battery light being off in the dash.

Are you thinking the converter might not have had a short or an issue with it? it never worked correctly until I put the new converter in.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum