Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2019, 12:00 PM   #1
RVMichael

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
WARNING -- Virginia is discriminating against handicap folks

This is a post I really didn't want to make. However, yesterday it became official. Virginia State Parks do not allow OPDMD's to operate in the park, unless they are on specific trails.

My wife cannot walk any distances without incurring pain. She has a handicap placard and the condition is permanent. When we were camping at Claytor Lake State Park, my wife wanted to take a shower she took the OPDMD (a.k.a. Cricket, which looks like a miniature golf cart) down the same path that allows RV's to get to the sites and she was informed by the park manager that this was not allowed in Virginia. The reasoning is that it is a state road and OPDMD's are not allowed on state roads. Of course this is stretching logic to the point of idiocy as children were at play on the path, folks were casually strolling, bicycles were riding by, and there was extremely little traffic on the rock filled road path that every park that has RV's in them has.

I called about a dozen ADA folks, both federal and state, and everybody was like well that's silly. I also filed an ADA complaint to get it changed throughout the state. Yesterday we got the official letter stating that the state was right and we were wrong, despite what the 30 year ADA federal law states.

I have included a link to an excellent explanation. If anybody from Virginia is reading this and is embarrassed by their states lack of concern please let your governor, newspaper, TV station, just somebody know the hurt being done by your state to those less fortunate.

The real irony of this is that my wife gave half her adult working life to advocating and fighting for the mentally handicapped to have access to the community and here is the state where we raised our children, where our grandchildren reside, where one of our children still reside, now discriminating against her in something that practically every other state in the country allows.

BOO ON VIRIGINIA! NO CANDY FOR YOU!

ADA Requirements: Wheelchairs, Mobility Aids, and Other Power-Driven Mobility Devices

This explains what a Cricket is

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.