Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Click Here to Login
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2019, 09:58 PM   #36
RVMichael

Brand: Thor Motor Coach
Model: Vegas 24.1
State: Florida
THOR #11784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance View Post
This part is clear, concise, and reasonable.

What I think most are not following is why a handicap person should have the right to use a form of transportation/mobility that is otherwise illegal to everyone else.
Because it is reasonable to provide some accommodation to physically handicapped. After all they are part owners of the park too. As long as nobody else's rights/comforts/etc. are diminished, then it should be why not. I wish you could experience the joy my wife has found in that she can experience the state parks pretty much like everybody else. I remember the tears and pure sadnesss like I had never seen from her when she found out that her previously active lifestyle of walking 3 miles a day would be no more. Virginia's unreasonableness put her back into the sadness.

Quote:

Context in this case would go a long ways towards understanding. For example, instead of walking, would she have been allowed to use a wheelchair? How about a mobility scooter? Short of a prohibited golf cart, what other options are available?
According to the Federal ADA law, this is a mobility scooter and was designed for this purpose. It meets the parameters of the Federal law just perfectly. Alot of the usual niceties, like suspension and normal size batteries found on full blown golf carts are not found on this because it is more of a mobility device and as much as a golf cart. Initially, she was prohibited from even taking the OPDMD from the RV to the shower. After a conversation with the ranger, he begrudgingly gave permission for trips from the RV to the shower and back, even though this was technically against the law. They said we cold take the OPDMD on the trail if we put the OPDMD onto the ramp where it's carried on the RV, take the RV to the special purpose trailhead, unload the OPDMD, go park the RV in a suitable location if possible (the spots at the trailhead were designed for cars), reload the OPDMD onto the RV, and then take the RV back to our site. Ummm, no, that isn't a reasonable solution, but Virginia apparently doesn't care.

Alternatives -- We first considered bicycles and even test drove some higher end bicycles and tricycles. However, that test almost ended in disaster and she almost wound up in the ditch and took a couple of weeks to recover from all the massive pain she experienced.

Quote:

You’ve covered what’s not allowed, but haven’t what is allowed in as much detail. That would help a lot in understanding your position.
In Virginia, not much is allowed according to state law. Reference the above example of how much effort is needed just to go down a trail. I imagine a manually powered wheelchair would be allowed, but to my understanding anything with a motor would not be allowed, except in special cases. I can envision a disabled Iraqi vet in a trackchair being told sorry, you can only use certain trails use a Virginia State Park despite giving both legs in the defense of our country. If true, this would indeed be shameful.

Quote:

P.S. — I have to deal with wheelchairs for my parents everywhere we go, so I can appreciate the convenience these laws have provided over the years.
It's not just convenience, but sometimes life changing, like in my wife's case. Without the OPDMD, her ability to experience the great outdoors would be dramatically diminished.

My real beef is that her using her OPDMD is not going to start an avalanche of golf carts running around state parks. Just a spoonful of reasonableness adds tons and tons to her enjoyment of life. We are not asking for a lot here. Just a little kindness for a couple of old folks who have helped everybody for their entire lives and now just want to enjoy a special sunset just like everybody else.

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Thor Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.

Thor Motor Coach Forum - Crossroads RV Forum - Redwood RV Forum - Dutchmen Forum - Heartland RV Forum - Keystone RV Forum - Airstream Trailer Forum